This policy is effective starting on February 17, 2020.
The Institute collects the following items of personal information for member registration, consultation, service application, and other website services.
- Collected Items: Name (Korean, English), date of birth, username, password, address, mobile phone number, phone number, gender, email, bank information (for refunds: account holder, name of bank, account number), [Additional Items for Korean Language Course Applicants: Passport number, nationality, picture], connection log, connection IP information
- Method of Personal Information Collection: By website (member registration, course enrollment)
The Institute uses the collected personal information for the following purposes:
- Fulfillment of the contract in relation to the provision of services and provision of payment settlement content in accordance with the provision of services
- Member Management: Self verification for the use of services limited to members, personal identification, confirmation of willingness to join as a member, prevention of the misuse of services and unauthorized use, confirmation of age, complaint handling, delivery of announcements
- Marketing and Advertisement: Delivery of advertisements, provision of services and exposure of advertisements according to demographic characteristics, gathering of statistical data on the connection frequency and use of services by members
In principle, personal information that has fulfilled the purpose of collection and use shall be destroyed without delay. However, information that needs to be preserved in accordance with relevant regulations and laws shall be retained for a certain period as prescribed by relevant regulations and laws.
- Grounds for Preservation: Internal policy of the Institute
- Period of Preservation: Semi-permanent or until withdrawal of membership
Users have the right to refuse to give consent to the collection and use of personal information. Refusal of consent limits membership registration and parts of the services.
In principle, personal information that has fulfilled the purpose of collection and use shall be destroyed without delay. The process and method of destruction are as follows:
- Destruction Process: The information registered by users is transferred to a separate database (or storage in case of paper documents) after the purpose of collection has been fulfilled. It is retained for a certain period of time before it is destroyed, in accordance with internal policies and other related laws and regulations (refer to Period of Retention and Usage).
Personal information transferred to a separate database shall only be retained and not used for a different purpose, unless required by law.
- Method of Destruction: Personal information stored in an electronic file must be deleted in a technical method that disables the viewing of records.
In principle, the Institute does not provide users’ personal information to external parties. However, this shall not apply in any of the following circumstances:
- Where separate consent is obtained from the subject;
- Where special provisions exist in other laws or regulations;
- Where it is clearly deemed necessary for the protection of life, body, or property interests of the subject or third party in terms of imminent danger where the subject or his or her legal representative is not in a position to express intention, or prior consent cannot be obtained owing to a lack of address information, etc.;
- Where the information is provided in a form that cannot identify a particular individual for use in statistical purposes or academic research;
- Where it is impossible to perform the duties under its jurisdiction as provided in any Act, the personal information is used for a purpose other than its intended purpose or is provided to a third party, and it is subject to deliberation and resolution by the Protection Commission;
- Where it is necessary to provide personal information to a foreign government or international organization to perform a treaty or other international convention;
- Where it is necessary for the investigation of a crime, indictment, and prosecution;
- Where it is necessary for a court to proceed with trial-related duties;
- Where it is necessary for the enforcement of punishment, probation, and custody;
- Where the information is provided to a partner company or research institute in a form that cannot identify a particular individual for use of statistical purposes, academic research, or market research;
- Where it is clearly deemed necessary to disclose personal information to take appropriate legal actions where the use of the Institute's system has caused psychological or physical damage to a third party;
- Where it is necessary to provide personal information to a commissioned agency managing the customer center for handling complaints and inquiries from users in relation to the use of services;
- Where it is necessary to provide personal information to a commissioned agency in charge of services in relation to events and raffles.
The Institute shall not entrust clients’ personal information to an external party without the clients’ consent. Should there be a need to do so, the Institute will inform clients the identity of the entrusted party and the entrusted content and obtain prior consent, if necessary.
Users may view or modify his or her registered information at any time and request for membership withdrawal.
To view or modify personal information, go to “Change Personal Information” (or “Modify Member Information”). To withdraw membership (or withdraw consent), go to “Membership Withdrawal.” Modification and withdrawal are only available after the self verification process.
Should the modification or withdrawal be requested to a Personal Information Officer in writing, by phone, or by email, we will take action without delay.
In the event you request for the correction of information, we will not use or provide the information submitted before the correction is completed. In the event incorrect information is already provided to a third party, the corrected information will be provided to the third party as soon as possible without delay and the application of the correction will be ensured.
Personal information that has been terminated or deleted upon the request of a user is handled in accordance with the “Institute's period of retention and usage of personal information” and is not used or viewed for other purposes.
To protect clients’ personal information and respond to complaints in relation to personal information, the Institute designated a dedicated department and Personal Information Officers as the following:
- Personal Information Officer: Dean of Language Education Institute / +82-51-510-3004
- Personal Information Manager: Kim Tae-hyeon / +82-51-510-3406 / email@example.com
You may report complaints related to the protection of personal information you encounter from using the services of the Institute to the Personal Information Officer or the competent department. The Institute will promptly respond to users’ complaints.
To report other matters related to the infringement of personal information or those that require consultation, please contact the institutions below:
- 1. Personal Information Infringement Report Center (operated by Korea Internet & Safety Agency)
- Website: privacy.kisa.or.kr
- Telephone Number: (No area code) 118
- Address: 3F, 9, Jinheung-gil, Naju-si, Jeollanam-do (Bitgaram-dong 301-2) (58324)
- 2. Personal Information Dispute Mediation Committee : (No area code) 1833-6972 (www.kopico.go.kr)
- 3. Cyber Bureau of Korean National Police Agency : (No area code) 182 (http://cyberbureau.police.go.kr)